market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] scapes/ cooking

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "mmaysen" <mmaysen AT alltel.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] scapes/ cooking
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:28:41 -0500

The scapes taste wonderful. They have a mellow garlic flavor.

I sold them 5 stalks for $1.00. I'm at a rural market in SW Missouri
... they should sell even better where customers are more familiar with
gourmet/ethnic cooking.
And if you put them in the refrigerator in a brown paper bag, they'll
last for weeks.

Here's a few recipes/ideas that I hand out when I sell them...
--------------------------------
Chop them up (don't use the very end of the stalks as they can be tough)
and sauté or stir fry them with other veggies.
--------------------------------
Good in salads, or on bruschetta, or pizza.
--------------------------------
Sauté lightly and sprinkle on top of a bowl of soup, like garlic or
avocado soup.
--------------------------------
Tomato Cucumber Salad with Scapes

1 small cucumber, 1/4" slices
3-4 tomatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
1 or 2 garlic scapes, sliced thin
handful chopped celery tops
crushed garlic to taste
italian vinaigrette dressing
toss together and let the flavors mingle in the fridge for a few hours
before eating. serve with sourdough bread.
--------------------------------
Spinach & Garlic Scape Pesto

3 cups packed fresh spinach leaves
1/2 cup parsley leaves
2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup walnuts
4 flat anchovy filets
4 chopped garlic scapes
1 Tbsp. dried basil
1 cup extra virgin olive oil

Process until smooth. While motor is running drizzle in oil. Makes 2
cups.
--------------------------------
Mashed Scape Potatoes

2 1/2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" pieces.
1/2 stick butter
2 Tbsp, olive oil
1/4 cup finely chopped scapes
1/4 cup hot milk (or more)

Cook potatoes until very tender. Drain and return to pot. Over medium
high heat, melt butter with olive oil in a small skillet. Add scapes and
sauté about 5 minutes. Add to potatoes and mash. Gradually add milk
while stirring. Season with salt and pepper.
** I like this one better the following way…. Roast or sauté the garlic
scapes first, then put in food processor, and then add to the potatoes
and mash.
--------------------------------
GRILLED GARLIC SCAPES

1 LB garlic scapes
olive oil
salt
pepper
1. Cut scapes into pieces about 2 inches long& place onto a large sheet
of foil wrap.
2. Sprinkle liberally with olive oil; season to taste with salt& pepper.

3. Bundle up the foil& grill for about 10 minutes or until soft& golden
--------------------------------
Garlic Scape Dressing or Dip

1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
4—5 garlic scapes finely chopped
1½ Tbs. dried dill
2 Tbs. white vinegar
Milk to thin
Mix all ingredients, thin to desired consistency. Use on salad or
vegetable dip.
--------------------------------
Chicken With Garlic Scapes & Capers

2 whole skinless boneless chicken breasts, halved
4 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
4 Tbsp. dry white wine
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
4 chopped garlic scapes
1½Tbsp. drained capers

Between sheets of plastic wrap slightly flatten chicken. In a large
heavy skillet heat 2 Tbsp. of butter and the oil over medium high heat.
Sauté until cooked through. Season with salt & pepper. Transfer chicken
to a platter and keep warm. Pour off fat from skillet and add the
remaining butter, the wine, lemon juice, scapes and bring mixture just
to a boil. Stir in capers and salt & pepper to taste. Spoon sauce over
chicken.

MeLani

Dunsmuir Herbs

--How do you sell the scapes? By weight, bunch, bulk? What do you get
--for scapes?