market-farming - [Market-farming] RE: chickens and trees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "mtlivestock" <crublee AT libby.org>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] RE: chickens and trees
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 07:52:32 -0700

I free-range chickens 24/7/365. I would add these suggestions to the others
given by the list.

1. To keep limbs broken or damaged from roosting, set up a roosting pole or
two. This can be a post nailed horizontally between two other posts. A
build up of poop may result. Place where you are not concerned or move
periodically. If the post is the perfect fit for their feet/body for a good
rest, they will choose it over wobbly limbs. Make sure the roosting post is
very stable.

2. Chickens may dig near/against your trees to "dust-bathe". This may
injury shallow roots or bark on the base of tree.

3. Chickens need shade! If the trees are small, they may congregate in
numbers under one or two of the trees with the best shade. Again, root and
bark damage may occur.

4. Size of area should be sufficient to encourage the chickens to spread
over a greater distance, thus not congregating under specific trees.
Chickens scratch constantly but constantly move if there is enough room. If
not, they just continue to scratch over the same area again and again until
bare.

5. I have noticed the first grass of the season comes up just under the
trees in my yard. My hens will scratch and peck at the base of these trees
for the new greens until the rest of the yard grass comes up. If the soil
is fresh around your new trees, they will scratch here first !!!! If you
have bark or other cover, they probably won't try hard if there is
sufficient grass nearby.

I have successfully allow a goose and full grown ducks to graze under my
apple trees where grass grows right under the tree. No problems, but there
were only a few and they were not confined for long periods of time under
the trees. A build-up of poop was quick. I had to move them often.

My hens have several acres to range. They go under and around the trees,
but I haven't had a problem with them bothering the apple trees. The hens
did think the shade/cover of the cherry bush was particularly good. It was
a mess under it, but I use the bush as a windbreak only and didn't mind.

Hope this helps. I have standard and heavy standard chickens, so these may
not all apply to you if you have bantams. I have no experience with
free-ranged bantams.

Christina
Libby Creek Heritage Farm
Montana

  • [Market-farming] RE: chickens and trees, mtlivestock, 04/28/2004