market-farming - [Market-farming] Paper Mulch/Wallmart

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "maureen bostock" <maureenbostock AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Paper Mulch/Wallmart
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:21:43 -0700

One of the issues with paper mulch is that office paper has been bleached while newsprint is not. Office papers are therefore not acceptable as a mulch because of the bleach residues.

My beef with Wallmart is that it comes into small communities and drives out local small businesses by undercutting prices primarily through lowering wages. This is not good for towns which have a fairly small economic base as the wages earned must be recycled through other businesses to keep them alive. As the wages drop and people have less disposable income they must spend those dollars at stores like Wallmart. This results in the $$ going out of the community immediately. The Wallmart Corporation does not shop in my small town - and at some point we need to realize that small town economic self-sufficiently relies upon everyone, businesses included, shopping in their own hometown.

Interesting discussion. Thanks for pointing out the AIM boycott of Wallmart. Knowing that, I am even more sure that I will not be shopping at Wallmart anytime soon.

Maureen Bostock