market-farming - [Market-farming] Shadecloth was Re: Pulling Plastic, also shadecloth

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Shadecloth was Re: Pulling Plastic, also shadecloth
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 03:55:59 -0400

Pam - WHat did this shadecloth cost you? ARe you putting this OVER your plastic?

And, for everyone, this probably came up earlier, but I don't see it: I had understood that 40percent shade was best for lettuce and salad mix. Am I wrong about this?

And, does anyone know the possible range of shade on the north side of a large, full tree? I've seen a couple of salad mix operations in the shade of treelines and I'm wondering how practical that really is before I buy shade cloth.

Thanks -Allan

By the way, thanks to the people who answered
my query about shadecloth. We're going with 34' x
96' 50% black knitted polyethylene from Gemplers,
with add-your-own clip-on plastic grommets. I'll let
you all know if it turns out to be wonderful or the
other thing. How do people fasten their shade cloth
down? To the ground? To the baseboard? With what
hardware?