market-farming - [Market-farming] Pulling Plastic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Pulling Plastic
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 08:01:46 -0400

I send this earlier to the hoophouse listserv, but haven't seen a result yet. Probably better posted here, anyway.

I need to skin a 48 ft long 30ft wide gothic house this week. I've always done the 3 people thing: setting up the roll on a rod at one end of the house and rolling out the plastic over the house, as one person on a ladder keeps boosting the plastic up over the ridge pole.

In the Growing for Market book, I saw instructions for rolling the plastic down one side of the house, tying ropes to it and pulling it (from the side) up and over the ridge until it drapes evenly on both sides. This looks to easy to think it hasn't been recommended to me by other people.

I'm wondering what your experience is with this latter technique and/or if you have other ways of putting plastic on. (I think Steve Moore tells of people who actually roll the plastic down the top of the ridge pole while they walk the top of the bows, but maybe I'd been in the sun too long when I thought I heard him tell this story.)