market-farming - [Market-farming] Farmers Market Workshop

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Matt Cheselka <cheselka AT freestateproject.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Farmers Market Workshop
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 15:10:10 -0500 (CDT)

Southern Arizona Community Building Workshop
"Will A Farmers Market Work In Your Community?"

May 20 & 21, 2004
St David Firestation, 515 E Dragoon Vista Ln, St David, AZ

There is no charge for the workshop, please RSVP to Coronado RC&D at
(520) 384-2229 x 123 by May 13, 2004. Lunch and snacks will be provided.

Day 1: 9:30am - 2:30pm
- Why start a Farmer's Market?
- Does a Farmer's Market fit into your business plan?
- Choosing crops and products
- Business incubator and location

Day 2: 9:30am - 1:45pm
- Preparing & marketing the Market
- Records, staffing, pricing
- Risks: libility ins. & legal regs
- How will we finance the Farmer's Market?
- Technical and financial resources to help you!

If anyone wants a detailed agenda, email me privately.

My only comment I'll make about this is that it's a government-sponsored
event. There are a few veggie growers in my area, but not very many.
I'm a little concerned that the sponsors will "take over" and dictate,
rather than let the producers decide what they want to do (if anything).
I'm also a little concerned that if a Market does actually start up, it'll
turn into more of a flea market (or even worse, something that resembles a
large yard sale, or worse yet, a tourist trap) than an actual farmers'
market that makes available local veggies and maybe other goodies for
local residents. People in my county are generally pretty poor (that is,
don't have a lot of cash), so they're always looking for a "good deal".
Lot's of "dollar" and other discount stores in the area (you know, all
that crap from China made in sweatshops), and they're always packed.

I'm willing to stick my neck out and try to turn this into something nice
for everyone, but I'm wondering if anyone on this list has had similar
experiences and can offer any advice in terms of how much of a
troublemaker I should make myself? Maybe I'm being a pessamist, but I get
the feeling that if not developed by the actual producers, it could be a
disaster and yet another sore for rural USA.

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce