market-farming - [Market-farming] sweet onion questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Karen Sutherland" <ksutherland AT hampshire.edu>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] sweet onion questions
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 19:09:36 -0400

More than a week here without rain under fierce tropical sun and my granex and grano onions’ greens are starting to tip burn and fall over even though the bulbs are not yet full size.  I had thought granex and grano were supposed to not be sensitive to day length, but I see that last year they (grano only last year) finished at the same time even though they were planted a month earlier and not water stressed.  (Actually I find that the granex is quicker to bulb and quicker for the tops to bend than the grano.)

My question: Does the curing period for onions affect the sweetness or flavor of the onion or is it merely for better storage characteristics?  I am basically wondering if it’s OK to market these immediately or whether they should be “cured” for a period first.  I do not expect these to be stored for any serious period of time.

Thank you all.

Best wishes,

Karen Sutherland

Roots Farm