market-farming - [Market-farming] WIC and food stamps.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Beth Spaugh <eas9 AT cornell.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] WIC and food stamps.
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 19:58:23 -0500

Depends on your state.

In New York, WIC coupons must be used at approved farmers' markets - approval means at least 3 vendors, at least two of whom must be selling produce (at least 50% they grow themselves). In some other states (Maine I think), they can be used at farmstands.

Food Stamps - in New York, it requires a card reader with phone access. The state is piloting card readers at a few larger markets. My understanding is that cell phones will work with the card readers. Vaguely think I heard something about needing credit card acceptance too, but that is real fuzzy, and I don't know why unless the state contracted with a credit card processor to manage the Food Stamp cards.

At 03:56 PM 4/1/2004 -0800, you wrote:

> Why should it concern a market farmer? Unemployed people
> often cannot afford to buy local or organically-grown food
> or, indeed, many fresh vegetables and fruits at all.

On this note...any other Farmer's Market managers out there, does anyone
know what it takes to set up a market to be able to accept Food Stamps or
the WICK program? Also for those interested check out Seattle Tilth's
community garden program.