market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Globalization's Race To The Bottom

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Globalization's Race To The Bottom
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 17:30:05 -0500

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 12:44:10 -0800, you wrote:

> Globalization is a nasty new form
>of capitalism which is so destructive of local infrastructure that it will
>produce economic catastrophe unless change is brought about.

<snip>

>Yes, we need to encourage local food production and local food consumption.
>But there are larger and deeper problems on the horizon and they are
>problems which must address how all farmers worldwide can make a fair living
>on the land.

Here's a fairly good, very brief description of the 'race to
the bottom':

"....a destructive competition in which workers, communities
and entire countries are forced to gut social, labor and
environmental protections to attract mobile capital. Despite
the media’s focus on the flight of jobs from First to Third
World countries, just as devastating is the competition
among Third World countries desperately seeking jobs and
investment at any cost."

This is what's happening now, and it will continue to happen
at an ever-accelerating pace unless the people of the
developed countries wake up and demand that changes are made
in order to regulate and guide these changes so that they
are less destructive.

(The people of the Third World countries generally don't
have enough power to accomplish anything much, so I think
it's up to the people in the First World.)

Pat