market-farming - [Market-farming] Heirloom Tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jean Lundquist" <gardener AT mnic.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Heirloom Tomatoes
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:07:55 -0600

I'm in southern Minnesota, but the heirlooms I am most partial to (because
they do well here) are the Brandywine. The pink variety seems less prone to
splitting than the red.

Aunt Ruby's German Green tomato is another tasty variety, but many folks
won't buy it, thinking it is not ripe, and some first-time growers don't
know when it IS ripe.

Both are great big, juicy, sweet, burger-sized tomatoes, and the taste is
out of this world!

Last fall, our local newspaper ran a story about a woman who got tomato
seeds from a relative in Russia 40 years ago, and has been saving seeds ever
since. I sweet-talked her out of nine seeds, and all are poking their
little green heads up from their grow-cups in the basement! I have no idea
what to expect, but they've been her favorite for 40 years, so I'll give
them a try. Perhaps next fall, I'll have some to share :)

Jean Lundquist
Jean's Gardens
Good Thunder, MN

  • [Market-farming] Heirloom Tomatoes, Jean Lundquist, 03/31/2004