market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Globalization's Race To The Bottom

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Globalization's Race To The Bottom
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 16:28:35 -0500

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 12:44:10 -0800, you wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>I agree with Pat Meadows' point of view. Globalization is a nasty new form
>of capitalism which is so destructive of local infrastructure that it will
>produce economic catastrophe unless change is brought about.

It produces economic catastrophe now in the less-developed
countries.

The USA has lost three million jobs in the last three years,
and the pace of job loss will accelerate. Not all the three
million jobs have been 'offshored', but an awful lot of them
have been - and many more will be unless changes are
instituted.

Why should it concern a market farmer? Unemployed people
often cannot afford to buy local or organically-grown food
or, indeed, many fresh vegetables and fruits at all.

Pat