market-farming - [Market-farming] Canadian CSAs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mark Hall" <MHALL AT georgianc.on.ca>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Canadian CSAs
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 09:43:35 -0500

Hi gang.
The Toronto Globe and Mail ran an enthusiastic story on Ontario CSAs
this weekend. That's good news because CSAs don't seem to have an high a
profile here as they appear to in some US regions...

Here's the beginning of the story and a link.

Mark Hall
Lover's Creek Farm
Grenfel Ontario Canada
pastured pork and beef using rare breeds

You take what you get: 'shared bounty, shared risk'
It's the newest private club: your own share of a local farmer's
harvest, with no middleman

By TRALEE PEARCE
Saturday, March 20, 2004 - Page M1

It's March. Do you know who your organic farmer is? I do. Her name is
Sherry Patterson. When a friend quietly slipped me Patterson's 2004
membership memo for Chick-A-Biddy Acres, I wanted in.

This was one step beyond year-round delivery services. No middleman.
Just me and my farmer.

But like all private clubs I had to woo my way in. I placed a call,
putting on my best grovelling voice. Ms. Patterson called back. I was
in. From June to October, I'll visit a spot near my home and help myself
to fresh veggies picked within the last 24 hours.

http://globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040320/ORGANIC20/

  • [Market-farming] Canadian CSAs, Mark Hall, 03/22/2004