market-farming - [Market-farming] Job security

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Old Timin'" <oldtimin AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Job security
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 12:57:17 -0500

The US and the world depends on energy products so my husband will always
have a job. YEAH RIGHT !!! After 25 years he was part of down sizing/cost
cutting "re-deployment" from a major oil company.No one's job is secure
anymore.

This is true, it comes with improvements. 100 yrs ago something like 75-90
percent of our population had to be in agriculture just to feed us. Due to
improvements in that area the number was able to drop considerably while
production went up. All those displaced farmers were then free to make cars,
radios, tv's and any number of modern convieniences that we would not have
if this work force were still tied up in agriculture. The only security is
being self sufficient, self employed, and willing and able to change as
needed. I admit I live a very old fashioned life style but it becomes easier
do to these improvements, I don't worry about my family starving, if my crop
fails we can still get food,not so 100 years ago. Change when it is not
caused by you is painful, but it is the ability to adapt to it that makes us
successful. I have one business that after 9 years is getting very weak,
almost non-existant do to its more luxury status, but that just gives me
more time to dedicate to market farming. To me this is true security, it is
not dependant on someone else finding work for me, I just have to produce
something that someone else wants,period.God Bless,
Kevin Miller (NW Ohio, Zone 5)
Turnin' Back Time Farm ( www.geocities.com/tbt_farm )

  • [Market-farming] Job security, Old Timin', 03/21/2004