market-farming - [Market-farming] Thanks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Margaret L Wilson" <booldawgs AT cavenet.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Thanks
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 22:41:24 -0800

Thanks for all of the advice and the words of encouragement. I have been
looking at market gardening as a way to supplement retirement. Our goal when
buying this place was self sufficiency that could be expanded into making
some money. Part of that goal is to be debt free. In order to buy a place
that you can pay for you have to sacrifice somewhere,lol. The whole place is
very neglected and essentially falling down. I brought a herd of sheep and
Dexter cattle with me so providing food and shelter for them has been at the
top of the list. I did manage to get a good garden started so actually
increasing production will not be impossible. I would love to make and sell
artisan cheeses too. I made and sold goat cheese back in the 70s.

This lovely area is ripe for tourism. I live between 2 little wineries. It
reminds me of Sonoma County, California before it was discovered and
developed. There is an organic blueberry farm down the road that is always
sold out.

I will start planting seeds in the green house tomorrow. I have everything
but a heat mat, I think. The fence needs repair between the chicken house
and the garden. My mind is clicking right along.

  • [Market-farming] Thanks, Margaret L Wilson, 03/20/2004