market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] carrots

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] carrots
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 07:03:10 -0600

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 03:22:13AM +0000, sajid1.2 AT juno.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I strongly dont believe that it is a good Idea to transplant Carrots. first
> you have to reminde you that carrots must be planted real tick to use space
> efficiently and have a good production. thing that you will not be able to
> do it by transplant. last year we planted carrots: in rows 6 inches apart
> and we got a very very good production.Three things you must consider in
> planting carrots is to choose a good Soil (very very few rockes), give the
> appropriate fertilization and most important the Carrots need a lot of
> water.

Also, I believe carrots are very sensitive to growing tip damage
malforming the root. Damage during transplanting might be difficult to
avoid. Not to mention that carrots are relatively low value and
probably not worthy of the expense of growing transplants.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html