market-farming - [Market-farming] Wasabi

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "adriana" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Wasabi
  • Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:08:22 -0600

Yes,
Wasabi can be grown hydroponically but yes, the cultural requirements are
very particular. Those who are growing it commercially in the US (in
Washington state) are keeping a tight lid on the growing methods due to
piracy attempts by Japanese "tourists". There is a New Zealand grower will
franchise his system but it will cost you at least $150,000 to get into it
and 18 months+ to get the first crop. On top of that it would be good to
have a greenhouse to grow it in. I can get you the information for the NZ
grower if you want.
\> I am having a discussion on another list about availablity of wasabi
root.
> The question is it possible to grow it in large amounts for processing
(for
> a non-food use)?
> I thought this would be a good place to ask if it can be successfully
> cultivated in large amounts. If anyone here is actually growing it
> commerically, that info would be great too. How large is large? I'm not
> sure but it would probably be several acres at least.

Adriana

  • [Market-farming] Wasabi, adriana, 02/29/2004