market-farming - [Market-farming] Publicity

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Windsoap AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Publicity
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 19:57:57 EST

Nearly all market gardeners live in small towns, right?  We have gotten to know the reporters, editors, etc. of our two local papers and we do get mention.  I won't say that we're nice to them for the publicity; the three that have done articles about us are just really nice people and we love visiting with them.  The only thing we give them "extra" is a bit more of our time.  If you don't know them, read your newspaper, find out who writes, call them up and invite them out.  Also, call the food editor of the nearest "big city" paper and talk about your farm.  We actually had a food writer for the Dallas paper come out and pick asparagus and write about it!!!

A few months ago, Rob Johnston of Johnny's Seeds suggested that I tell our local paper about planting onions at the correct time and it occurred to me that I (and all serious MG's) could volunteer articles on gardening to our little local papers.

Germination flats are germinating.  I think my husband spends half his day just staring at them and dreaming.  Maybe that's why we get such good germination?
Wendy Akin
Akin Farm
Texas

  • [Market-farming] Publicity, Windsoap, 02/08/2004