market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Ruth Stout style gardening

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Alan Whitaker" <awhitaker AT greenlynk.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Ruth Stout style gardening
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 22:01:38 -0600

Willie,

yes the Covington planter is for peas, beans, cotton, millet, sorghum, okra,
etc.
you might get a plate built for smaller seeded things like spinach, but if
your using a Planet Jr., your used to overplanting anyhow. You could use
the smallest plate I suppose on the smallest spacing and make a go of it.
The setup I'm using is their tool bar model, high speed (plant at up to 6
MPH) large on 30" centers. Being on a tool bar you could put them how ever
close you would want. They are similar in the way they work. A coulter
makes a furrow for the seed and press wheels cover. I'm attempting to
modify mine with an additional set of coulters for the trash. I paid around
$500 per row for this setup last March. I use an antique Planet Jr.setup
for turnips, collards, kale, etc........ It's old, all metal and I can
rebuild it when needed.