market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Storing carrots

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Storing carrots
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 07:49:46 -0500

We put our in 5 gallon buckets of damp sand in our unheated basement (ave 38˚F). We get the grade coarser (and cheaper) than play sand at the hardware box store. The sand does need to be rewetted about every 10 days or so (of course this depends on the humidity of your basement of root cellar).

This works well for turnips and beets too.

Evan wrote:

Hi, I want to know what the right conditions for storing carrots are. After growing a large quantitiy last year I must have stored them incorrectly because they became moldy after a few weeks! How do most people store carrots?

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH
Check out the Boulder Belt website:
"There is no way to peace---peace is the way."
A.J. Muste