market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] SunSugar Tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: dave.kathy AT att.net
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] SunSugar Tomatoes
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 04:21:17 +0000

> Last year I tried SunSugar, after three years of Sungold. And I did
> think (though no brix to back it up) they were sweeter. Customers loved
> them and came back looking for them.
> I was also quite pleased with the yield per plant, and length of
> production. Will be growing them this year as well.

I absolutely agree. I've grown SunSugar every year since they were first
introduced, and have held several taste tests among my friends and
customers. SunSugar usually comes out best among the orange bite-sized
tomatoes, SunCherry Extra Sweet among the red ones. I have many customers
who faithfully buy my SunSugars every Market. We charge $1 for a packet of
20; at the peak of the season were selling out 60 packets in a 2-hr market,
produced from 12 plants. SunSugars are also great to give out free taste
tests (allowed at my Market, tho I'm aware some places this is unlawful) to
attract new converts. The vines are VERY prolific, BTW; use a BIG cage (I
use 48" high woven wire 11 ft around). Also, they keep producing till frost.

Dave Campbell
Tiffin IA