market-farming - [Market-farming] Permanent cover crop for raspberries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roger Weeks <roger69 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Permanent cover crop for raspberries
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 09:59:24 -0800 (PST)

Hello everyone -

It's bare root season here in California, and I'm putting in a new
field of raspberries. Since the rows are 6' apart, I'm thinking that I
want to put down a permanent cover crop between the rows, to control
weeds and to provide some soil nutrition.

My first thought was white dutch clover. since it's low growing and you
can walk on it when picking berries during the season.

Anyone have recommendations or experience with permanent cover crops
and raspberries? Anything I should avoid?

Thanks
Roger Weeks