market-farming - [Market-farming] Temperature compensated refractometer

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Art Petrzelka <art AT complum.com>
  • To: SANET-MG <SANET-MG AT LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU>, Albrecht <AlbrechtSoilFertility AT yahoogroups.com>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Temperature compensated refractometer
  • Date: 20 Jan 2004 19:30:36 -0600

I'm looking for advice on temperature-compensated refractometers to
purchase that can handle an Iowa summer.
There are two that look appropriate for my use: The Reichert Phoenix
series, with Leica optics, and the Atago.

My intended use is for forage analysis on my pasture, with other uses on
fruits and vegetables to determine ripeness. Ambient temperatures here
in Iowa exceed the 80 degree limit of most temperature compensated
units. These two models are the ones that I found that went up to 100
degrees F.

While a digital model would be much more accurate and easier to use, the
$500-1000 prices I saw aren't justifiable for my small usage. Anybody
inherit an Atago PAL-1 that they don't want?

Any comments on these two, or on other models that may fit?

--
Art Petrzelka
Amana, Iowa, USA

  • [Market-farming] Temperature compensated refractometer, Art Petrzelka, 01/20/2004