market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] mad cow effects on direct market meat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Hopkins" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: "Alderspring" <alderspring AT salmoninternet.com>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] mad cow effects on direct market meat
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 22:04:08 -0600

Caryl and Others.

I had that same conversation with our processor this week and his comments
were there have been no changes that impact them. This is a small family
owned and operated USDA plant. In order to assure their own meat customers'
concerns were met they have already upgraded to latest technology saws and
methods that would preclude any issues leading to rejection or recall.
Their profit is not in the processing, but in the wholesale beef they sell
to local grocery stores and restaurants.

The other positive thing is that the inspector for this plant is extremely
interested in doing his job correctly. He takes pride in assuring that
everything is done by the book. If the book is wrong we are all up a creek.
:-)

Rick H.