market-farming - [Market-farming] Vegetable decals for a market vehicle

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marlin Burkholder" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Vegetable decals for a market vehicle
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 21:52:26 -0500

Last summer I bought a retired ambulance and stripped it down for use as a
market delivery vehicle. It has about 70,000 hard used miles (but well
maintained mechanically), a 350 ci engine w/4 barrel carb (likes gas, it's
primary vice), numerous overhead cubbyholes w/plexiglass sliding doors (good
for storing little items needed at market like price cards, plastic bag
rolls, rolls of Bounty paper, snacks and drinks etc.), and lots of inside
electrical outlets and light switches connected to abundant lighting inside
and outside. Considering the price I paid for it, I saw it as well worth
doing for use as a farmers' market and CSA delivery vehicle. I was able to
place a 21 cu ft chest freezer at the front of the cargo space (11' x 6
1/2') and keep frozen meat for sales to my farmers' market and CSA folks.
Considering it's utility, I decided I could handle the "not so admirable gas
mileage" for the several thousand miles that I will put on it in a normal
marketing season.

It is white with fire engine red five inch wide stripes (edged in blue)
running along the sides and angling sharply up to the roof several feet
before they reach the back of the vehicle. The bottom door and side panels
are also red. I have been having visions of putting the farm name in blue,
green, or yellow letters on the side stripes and large decals (about a foot
across) of a variety of vegetables (tomatos, broccoli bunches, ears of corn,
carrots, beans, cabbages or lettuce) on the white empty spaces along the
sides and on the rear door panels. Even something along the lines of the
"veggie tales" theme might give it a crazy, light hearted touch. Can this
sort of stuff be procured or would I need to commission an artist to paint
it on? I vaguely remember seeing something in a "Growing For Market" issue
several years ago about someone who had done something similar to their
market truck. I may need to check it out.

Marlin Burkholder
Glen Eco Farm
Singers Glen, Virginia

PS Since I am a singer and live near a village well known for it's musical
heritage, maybe even a few musical notes scattered around among the veggie
decals might look good. :>).