market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Intro and question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Paul A. Bock" <bockpa AT plesh.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Intro and question
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:03:49 -0500

My uncle had a similar problem when he was trying to drive a finishing
mower. He ended up taking the right angle gearbox apart on the mower and
moved a gear around so that it effectively reverses the rotation. He had to
machine a new keyway on the drive shaft to drive the gear in the new
location.

Something else to consider to switching to hydraulics. hook a hydraulic
pump to the PTO and the drive the implement with a hydraulic motor. You can
add a pressure relief valve in place of a shear pin or friction clutch. Add
a valve body and you can reverse rotation. Reversing rotation can be a good
thing with something like a rotatiller when you snag a rock. And you don't
have to be worried about being killed by a spinning PTO shaft. I have two
small children now and I refuse to use a mechanical PTO, its just too
dangerous.

Paul Bock
-Stone Gully.