market-farming - [Market-farming] national organic program question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Nan Johnson" <nan AT olemiss.edu>
  • To: "marketfarming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] national organic program question
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 09:09:05 -0800

All of my colleagues (botanists, agronomists) at work are convinced it is NOT worthwhile to buy any certified organic produce that originates from any place other than locally or from one of y'all!.  They argue that since organics is now big business, you can be sure that the large growers/corporations are bending the rules.  So when one buys organic today (say from California), you are paying alot more, with probably less chance than ever that is was TRULY grown organically.  SO why bother?

 I fought since 1992 to prevent the NOP, for this very reason, so I am sympathetic, and also very cynical about USDA.  Still, should I continue to buy certified organic when my local farmers market isn't open (when open I only buy from them or grow my own).

I have argued that conventional produce may even be more likely to have been grown with raw manure, laced with pesticides, etc. or whatever, since NOBODY regulates them (and I know that pesticide applications, e.g. are not always according to the book - hey they still use DDT here in Mississippi).  So at least with certified organic I have a better chance of not ingesting pesticides, if nothing else.

Any sense out there in marketfarming world that "most" of the certified organic operations are really following [most of] the rules??????  thanks, nan at dancing goats farm, zone 7, n. mississippi