market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Purple Queens and Rattlesnakes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jim Gage" <jdgage AT hurleycomputers.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Purple Queens and Rattlesnakes
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 07:44:37 -0600

Re: kids and farmer's markets.  When my daughter was 5-6 years old, we sold at a small farmers market in WI.  She was part of the whole operation - weeding, picking, selling, etc -- and then got a portion of the profits.  It taught her how to make change, talk to people, and have a real appreciate for not only the fruits and veggies, but also the commerce side of things.  Now at 14, she has a very good appreciation of what hard work is, is a fruit/veggie eater par excellence, still helps (although she has a thousand other things going on with school and sports), and gasps when we go though the produce section of a supermarket at both the high prices and low quality.

Start 'em early and be proud.  They are learning lots of good stuff now that will manifest itself when they become teenagers and beyond.