market-farming - [Market-farming] Re Garden Carts

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re Garden Carts
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 10:44:56 -0500

> > >Does anyone have experience to compare the
> > >quality of the "Carts Vermont" from Johhny's, Leonards Own Yard
> > >Cart from A.M. Leonard, Gardeners Supply carts, or any others? And
> > >will the largest one be really too big?

We have several of the carts from Johnny's, and
similar types (Carts Vermont, Garden Way, etc). They
are very good. Not too big for the average person (you
don't have to fill a big cart, after all). Only snag for us
is the back boards/tail gates. The arrangement for
making them removable is not that useful to us, and it
weakens the shape. We often bolt a metal bar across
the back to hold it all together better. We leave ours
out in the weather (tut, tut!). We also have moved full
size round hay bales in them. I'm not saying you
should, just that it's possible! The method is to push
the cart right up beside an on-end bale, tip the cart up
to stand on its tail gate, then manoevre the bale onto
the tail gate, flip the cart right side up, and off you go!
(No wonder our tail gates want to pull out, eh?)
We also have two carts of the other main brand
recommended in Consumer Reports. To my mind they
are not so good at all. Although about the same size,
the hooped legs are oriented across the cart rather
than in-line. This is inconvenient when straddling a
crop row. Also this rival brand has particle board body
- I don't know if it will stand up as well as the exterior
ply of the Johnny's ones.
We also have a couple of the smaller carts. I hate
the crossways leg arrangement on them. We call them
"ankle-snapper carts"! As you pull them behind you,
they catch your Achilles tendon. I'd never buy another
of those.
Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks, Louisa, VA