market-farming - Re: [PMX:#] Re: [Market-farming] Garden carts

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: dave.kathy AT att.net
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PMX:#] Re: [Market-farming] Garden carts
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 15:57:52 +0000

> >Does anyone have experience to compare the
> >quality of the "Carts Vermont" from Johhny's, Leonards Own Yard Cart from
> >A.M. Leonard, Gardeners Supply carts, or any others? And will the largest
> >one be really too big?

I have a large-size Vermont garden cart I bought as a kit some 20 years ago,
and its one important tool, still going strong. Of course I treat it well. A
friend and I got our kits together (some kind of "2-fer" deal) and he trashed
his within a few weeks by dropping CONCRETE BLOCKS into it from a second
floor window!

On tools, and on the tractor thread that was going a few weeks back, I've got
a NH1630 (27 horsepower) tractor with loader, by which I mean one of those
hydraulic-controlled wide tiltable scoop buckets that mount on the front of
the tractor. I use my loader all the time. With it I turn my big compost
heap, move dirt (like fill in burn pits and gulleys), pull fence posts,
transport my bee hives, raise a platform to paint and pick apples from, move
straw bales, firewood, and mulch, etc. So my earnest advice to anyone
getting a tractor is--DON"T FORGET A LOADER. There are a lot of reasonably-
priced, secondhand small tractors around (at least there are in farm country
like where I live), but you may have to search a bit for a loader. But it
will be worth the search!

Dave Campbell
Tiffin, Iowa