market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] pastured produce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] pastured produce
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 12:25:53 -0500

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 11:08:03 -0600, you wrote:

>Would fall planted oats that winter-killed work for plants (tomatoes in the
>spring) or no-till seeding in the spring? The winter-killed oats would
>provide a mulch/weed control for almost anything,. . . right? I intend to
>do this with frost seeded clover and try the tomatoes as well (can you
>no-till sweet corn?).

I planted oats this fall, for a cover crop.

They didn't provide any mulch because it got down to the
teens here (Northern PA) in early October and killed them.
They didn't have time to grow enough to provide significant
mulch.

Depending on where you are, this might or might not be a
problem for you.

Pat