market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Straw bale Queen

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Straw bale Queen
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 04:25:06 -0500

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:21:53 EST, you wrote:

>Okay, well I suppose I used the term "straw" incorrectly. I pickup old bales
>of hay or straw from a local certified organic grower. I get whatever has
>broken, been rained on, begun to mold or has not sold for several years
>running. I
>use it to mulch, build chicken coops, build equipment storage buildings,
>anchor row covers, make the pumpkin patch look pretty, hold compost piles
>and just
>about anything else I can think of.

I wish someone would GIVE me one of the large round bales.
There are lots of them around here unused, for one reason or
another. But getting it here would be the problem. (We
have a small car.)

Old, spoiled hay (unsuitable for animal feed) sells for $2 a
small rectangular bale here (rural northern PA). Still not
cheap in any reasonable quantity.

Pat