market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Row covers and hoop houses

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "adriana" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Row covers and hoop houses
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 10:44:02 -0600

The discussion about row covers brought to mind a resource that the members
of this list may not be aware of. It is the self-published book "Affordable
Greenhouse Technology (A do it yourself manual)" by S.C. Mohapatra, retired
professor from North Carolina State University. It has some very
interesting, effective low-tech designs for hoop houses - the techniques
are 100% applicable to row covers as well. He uses bungee cords on top of
the row covers, which allows easy access to the crop from the sides and some
interesting techniques for securing the ends. I ordered my copy a couple
of years ago by sending a $30.00 check to STAS, Inc. 10 Bluegrass Drive,
Warrenton, NC 27589.

I don't have a current email address for Dr. Mohapatra but I think you can
inquire at webmaster AT bae.ncsu.edu.

Adriana