market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] What is this plant?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] What is this plant?
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 22:15:28 -0500

Hey Marlin,

Around here it's simply called "Creasy Greens". We didn't have it down on
the coast. It's very prolific, even the convenience stores sell bushels of
it. I think there was a thread on this last winter because I made the same
discovery. It'll be interesting to see how differently (better??) it'll
grow with all the moisture we've had this past year.

I experimented with different ways of cooking it. It cooks down
tremendously, as with all greens, (I guess that's why it's sold by the
bushel--takes alot to make a "mess"). The flavor is pleasant, though a bit
too much by itself depending on the individual plant. I finally settled on
mixing it with spinach, just barely wilting it all in garlic olive oil and
serving it with a splash of balsamic vinegar. Yum!

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC
http://www.marketfarming.com