market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Compost/Worm Castings

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jackie Fisher" <splltrss AT scrtc.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Compost/Worm Castings
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 11:28:24 -0500

> Jackie - I didn't catch what your application rate is. Are you
> growing in 100% worm castings, or how much do you apply?
>
> Thanks _Allan

The existing worm beds hadn't been harvested in over 6 mos. so they were
super rich in compost, worms & castings. The farmer delivered a set of new
boxes he had been going to expand into first, and then delivered the
contents of his existing beds in 6 cu. yds. loads. As he delivered, we
loaded the new boxes with those contents. Eventually he brought over the old
boxes which we added to the lines and filled. I planted directly into these
beds so the plants had finished vermicompost, castings, and worms making
more in each bed. The boxes are about 3 ft X 5.5 ft, and about 18 inches
deep which was perfect for us. Oh yes, they were all raised above ground
level enough that you could use a pallet mover with them, which added to the
total height needed for me to use from my wheelchair. At this point they are
arranged in two parallel rows with enough room between for my wheelchair,
and stretch over 120 ft. long. We are planning to cover them in early Nov.
with a high tunnel so I can continue production all winter. And I still have
many, many boxes to continue in. *G*

Thanks & Blessings!

Jackie Fisher
A Different Drummer Farm
South Central Kentucky
270-432-0970

"Be good to the land and it will be good to you"