market-farming - [Market-farming] LOCALLY GROWN was CSA ...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Glen Gillmore <glen AT localharvest.org>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] LOCALLY GROWN was CSA ...
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:10:58 -0700

I attended an event discussing local food with Dr. John Ikerd. He was a
very evangelical speaker. Some of his writings can be found at
http://www.ssu.missouri.edu/faculty/JIkerd/default.htm.

I've also contemplated a more organized "Fresh and Local" marketing effort.
When I approached the "Be Californian, Buy California Grown"
(http://www.californiagrown.org/) people, they didn't seem interested in
supporting smaller farmers and are mostly partnering with the large
commissions and boards. A number of people have told me that the distributed
and diverse "buy local" marketing efforts are more powerful anyways -- and
that it would be too hard to coordinate anything on a large scale. I'm
still not convinced there isn't a foundation out there willing to support
something like this.

Glen Gillmore
Director of Marketing
http://LocalHarvest.org