market-farming - [Market-farming] Blushing Bell Peppers, last market!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mary Whitney" <mary AT whitneysorchard.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Blushing Bell Peppers, last market!
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 21:09:21 -0700

Our last market was today..yipppee!! and then tears..then yippee again! We
will continue the greenhouse for a short time as the boyscouts have some
bazaar we've been invited to sell at. Apples keep.. only one very mild frost
yet so the tomatos are still ok for now. We had eggplant, some cucumbers and
picklers, all out of the greenhouse. Our Striped German's were the nicest
we've had all year. Guess they like the cooler weather, though the
Brandywine and BrandyBoy almost stopped production all together..

The west had a warm summer, and it still can't totally decide if it's gonna
be fall or not. A year ago next week it was 5 degrees one night!! That
wasn't usual for here thankfully! Killed almost all our strawberries and we
had to replant this spring. Seascape is a great everbearer!! Large berries
even in the hot weather we had.

Our bell peppers had problems with year with rot spots. The Blushing Bells
were the worst, but some of the others weren't far behind. Any suggestions???

We are putting up a 24x96 hoop house with roll up sides. We'll see how much
earlier we can get to market that way.

Mary Whitney

--
www.whitneysorchard.com