market-farming - [Market-farming] Intro & Wooly Caterpillars

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jackie Fisher" <splltrss AT scrtc.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Intro & Wooly Caterpillars
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 13:06:56 -0500

My name is Jackie Fisher and I have lurked here for several months now just
soaking up the wonderful info you all have imparted. I live in South Central
Kentucky, Edmonton and want to make this old farm productive. It hadn't been
farmed in over 15 years when I bought it in Sept 1999, then I became ill and
ended up disabled. Now I am in an electric wheelchair on oxygen but have
grown a test garden this year and am trying to develop some niche market
crops that nobody else grows for local farmers markets. I do everything by
hand, no equipment other than my electric powerchair for mobility. I
currently have raised beds to wheelchair height almost 300 ft. long by 3 ft.
wide, set in two rows so I can travel between them. Am going to cover them
with a hoophouse next month, then develop more. My farm is in the process of
being "Certified Naturally Grown" since the certified organic has just way
too much paperwork for me to handle and garden too.

Oh yes, have only seen 2 woolies, but they were both banded with black on
the ends and a large middle section of brown, but with distinc bands so you
could count them. Alas, I saw them before I saw the posts, so have no idea
how many were what. If I see any more, will be sure to count them, hehe!

Jackie Fisher
A Different Drummer Farm
South Central Kentucky
270-432-0970

"Be good to the land and it will be good to you"

----- Original Message ----- > Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 12:37:55 -0700