market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Organic sowing medium

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Nicole <nbrown AT bbtel.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Organic sowing medium
  • Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 11:50:15 -0400

Andrea wrote: >>I was wondering if anybody out there is certified organic.And if you are,what kind of growing medium do you use.Do you mix it up yourself ,and what proportions of all the different ingredients does it contain.<<

I'm not certified (yet) and not a market farmer (yet) but I intend to be both within a couple of years (certified when/if someone in KY becomes accredited, until then I'll operate under the $5,000 rule).

I currently use sifted compost - sifted through expanded steel mesh - which I sterilize by baking or setting atop the woodstove for a day. Eliot Coleman and others advise against sterilizing growing medium, but I find that I'm forever picking weed seedlings out of my flats/pots if I don't. I tried using bagged "organic humus" when I ran out of ready compost this year, and it was less than satisfactory.

Eliot Coleman has a recipe for soilblock medium in his "The New Organic Grower" which involves compost, greensand, and 2 or 3 other ingredients - if I can locate those ingredients locally (not likely, honestly) I'll be trying soilblocks next year.

Nicole in KY