market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: 6' tall marigolds, no flowers... yet

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: 6' tall marigolds, no flowers... yet
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 05:48:59 -0400

Tagetes minuta has a number of secondary plant
compounds that impart pest and nematode control.
The dried leaves can be added to the soil, root extractions have strong
properties and a long shelf life, and fresh or dried leaves can be soaked
in water as an herb tea / fermented plant extract, applied foliarly.

Essential oil of Tagetes minuta has anti-bacterial / anti-fungal
properties. A chemical profile is located on the ALNAP
website:

Steve - I have that 6ft marigold growing at our place. I have some harlequin beetle problems that i can't solve with ANYTHING. They are on collards and kale.

I'm interested in trying the marigolds on the collards to repel (or kill!) these pests but I'm afraid of what the same plant might do to my shareholders.

Do you have any ideas about that? Is it toxic? Does it taste bad?

And if I make a tea to apply: is this a green manure type tea or should it be brewed like bd horsetail on the stove top?

Thanks

-Allan

  • [Market-farming] Re: 6' tall marigolds, no flowers... yet, Allan Balliett, 10/02/2003