market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Fellow Alabamian

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Windsoap AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Fellow Alabamian
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 19:54:59 EDT

In a message dated 9/25/2003 1:00:02 PM Central Daylight Time, awhitaker AT greenlynk.com writes:
We have in the past grown most vegetables that will sell here in the deep
South.  Peas, butterbeans, collards, okra, tomatoes, squash, kale, turnips,
corn, etc, etc

Despair not!  When we first started, most people who came out here to get their peas and melons thought I was just downright strange and "foreign".  We kept growing our fancy varieties - haricots, charentais melons, french plum tomatoes, colored peppers, etc.  and finally we have customers who demand these!  I even got some people to fix their purple hull peas with olive oil and roasted garlic!!!  I made up a little cookbook with mostly Mediterranean-type recipes and that really helped.  I also made taste-testers.

If you can grow peas, they will improve your sandy soil.  Try to get some wood chips composting.  and send us some rain!
Wendy Akin
Akin Farm
Texas