market-farming - [Market-farming] Green manure as living mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Green manure as living mulch
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:40:15 -0700 (PDT)

>> Andrea, there's lots of materials that can be considered mulch, and each
> crop responds differently to the material used. Hay and wood mulch have
> already been mentioned and you can grow "green manure" crops that function
> in much the same way. There's also black plastic and the various colored
> plastics for use on specific crops.

>I used to swear by ruined alfalfa hay as mulch...I laid it on thick and
deep assured it would smother out weeds.....over the years I found that
the most obvious result was the introduction of an incredibly healthy
stand of Quack grass which is almost impossible to remove. For the last
few years I've been experimenting with a living mulch of Dutch White
Clover. The results have been fabulous. I plant it in between the rows
where it comes in thick enough to crowd out weeds. Mowing it adds
tremendous amounts of high fiber and nitrogen to the soils. Sora at
Paradise Valley Organics...