market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Large Scale Mulching

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Large Scale Mulching
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 06:53:08 -0400

Was there myself just over a week ago.

It's helpful to know that Chip uses small round bales, having given up on horsing the large round bales some time ago. PASA (Pennsylvania Assoc for Sustain Ag (maybe)) has tapes of a presentation Chip gave a few years ago about round bale mulching. Chip typically has over a dozen interns during the season. -Allan

I visited Wheatland Farm in Lovettsville VA last week and they mulch on an acreage basis using round bales of hay which they roll down properly space aisles. Works very well by all appearances. I saw 20+ acres (guessing) done this way.

I have also done this myself in Vermont on a one-acre scale....

Shepherd Ogden