market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: irrigation/silt and a few other topics =:>

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mary Whitney" <mary AT whitneysorchard.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: irrigation/silt and a few other topics =:>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 23:24:09 -0700

There are all kinds of filters you can get for your irrigation system so you
can use drip irrigation rather than overhead. Though we've even considered
overhead micro sprinklers in our black and raspberries to try and prevent
burned berries =:>

We are on plastic mulch and drip irrigation using mostly Queen Gil drip tape,
even our corn was on drip and under plastic.

We just bought a hoophouse to put up next year. It will have roll up sides
for the hottest weather, though I'm planning on a 2nd garden for later in the
season because of hotter weather. We cannot do any cool weather crops during
the summer months here anyway. Was over 90 again here today. Hope it cools
off tonight to help color the apples!!

We sell mostly what we grow. We have a few personal friends that we will get
some soft fruit and cherries from, but we ONLY get from those that we know
grow with the same criteria that we do.. grow only the best and what I would
want to eat myself. No warehouse buying here...I work at an apple packing
plant and I won't eat what they pack!

Mary Whitney

  • [Market-farming] Re: irrigation/silt and a few other topics =:>, Mary Whitney, 09/05/2003