market-farming - [Market-farming] trellis

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] trellis
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 10:56:14 -0400

Hubby got tired of figuring out how to trellis peas every year, so about 2
years ago our working member (CSA) provided the labor to build quite a few
wood and wire grids.

They are probably 8ft long and 6ft high made from one by two's , he used
some hammer in metal plates to attach the boards to each other instead of
cutting 45 miter for corners. He then put on wire and I think it's
sandwiched between another wood frame. You could make the with one frame,
our prototype was, but the builder thought the sandwich was sturdier. Lots
of time to build but now easier to put up. Hubby simply pounds metal T
posts in ground and ties panels to them. They work quite well.

He has found that he often has to run a bit of string behind the peas to get
them to lean into the panels. This methods does make for easy picking.

  • [Market-farming] trellis, Hook Family, 08/25/2003