market-farming - [Market-farming] Ohm meters, fulltime, frost seeding

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mayapple Farm and Gardens <mayapplefarm AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Ohm meters, fulltime, frost seeding
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:32:22 -0700 (PDT)

Remember from your basic chemistry/physics that
conductivity of a solution happens only when a
solution is made of ions, not nonionic solutes. So,
in other words, a solution of table salt, which
disassociates into sodium and chloride ions, will
conduct electricity, showing up as non-infinite
resistance on an ohmmeter in proportion to its
concentration. But a solution of sugar, which
consists of individual sugar molecules, will not
conduct electricity, always giving a reading of
infinite resistance no matter what the concentration.

My wife and I both work full-time jobs, so our
marketing is conducted on Saturdays only. My goal is
to take the market gardening to full time status, and
work off farm only as needed.

Paul, check with your local extension service to see
if they recommend fall seeding of clover in your area.
We can get by with it here in Kentucky, and it seems
to provide a little better result. Also keep in mind
that grain rye has allelopathic tendencies that could
inhibit germination of a small-seeded plant like
clover. Frost seeding works best on very short
stubble, like closely grazed pasture or disked ground.
Too much cover, such as tall grass, will tend to
create a little microhabitat on the soil surface that
doesn't heave as much as you need to get the seed into
good soil contact. UV light in early spring or late
winter when you do this shouldn't be strong enough to
negatively affect the innoculant.

Kevin

=====
Krystyna L. Prochocki