market-farming - [Market-farming] frost-seeding

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Paul A. Bock" <bockpa AT plesh.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] frost-seeding
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:58:36 -0400

Hello Everyone,
Can someone help me understand frost-seeding? I am guessing that you
simply cast seed on frost-heaved ground and that the seed finds its way into
the ground as the frost melts. But where I live we get say 3-4 feet of snow
on the ground most of the winter. Should I cast the seed onto the snow?
Will a warm day with a melting top side give enough water to germinate the
seed when it is still above the soil? Specifically, I would like to
frost-seed red clover seed into fall planted rye. Should I plant the clover
before or after the snow instead?

-Paul Bock
Stone Gully