market-farming - [Market-farming] Hi and rebar question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: bob111higgins AT comcast.net
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Hi and rebar question
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 16:54:40 +0000

Hi All:

My question first then I will introduce myself, as I have been on the list
for
a while but never posted.

Q: Do I understand that some of you use re-bar for tomato stakes, or is it
for 'posts' between which you run wire for trellising? If stakes, then you
have
no problem with absorbed heat from the iron burning the plants? Finally, what
@
price are you buying them for? Thanks.

We just bought six acres and an old farmhouse, the remnant of an old
asparagus
farm in central NJ. I will be starting some market gardening next year on one
acre, possibly expanding to two later on as a serious but small scale second
income. This year is for preparation and researching / testing crops,
especially niche crops for the local carriage trade. Possibly also will sell
in
Trenton once I have the volume. Been gardening many many years but never
larger
than 5,000 sq. ft., so scaling up and marketing will be interesting
experiences! Thanks for all the great information and book tips you are
sharing
on this listserve, I am learning manyb things that will help.

Bob Higgins
Red Brick Farm
Hopewell, NJ