market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: What does it take to be a "good" and successful Farmers Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: jasperm1 <jasperm AT iquest.net>
  • To: "Market gargen list" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: What does it take to be a "good" and successful Farmers Market
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:02:59 -0500

There are actually a few farmers markets in the Indianapolis Area
already. But I wonder just what the geographical area that is covered.
If someone has to drive by several stores and produce stands to get to
the farmers market will they. Indy is a pretty big city these days.
Much different than when I was little.

So Del yes there already are some and they have one "original" one that
is downtown but last time I went it was mostly fast food type places
although there are some vegetable stands and they do have some open air
markets on Market street. So come on and let me know where your 60 acres
will be, I need all kinds of "learnin" maybe I can get some from you when
you get closer.

The health issues are something I have a long learning hill to climb and
so I want to try to figure out if this is even worth the time to think it
through. I do have a friend whose wife is a health inspector down in
Johnson County and she has given me some names to contact with the state
but I am sure Marion County will have its own set of rules. Regulation
does seem to be a good sized hurdle and is being discussed in a spirited
manner on a homesteading list I am also on. Rules or no Rules I would
feel just terrible if someone got sick or was injured and need to figure
out how to goof proof things as much as possible not only for my
liability peace of mind but my general peace of mind.

I guess I need to understand the pro's and cons of a farmers market
versus establishing a produce stand or stands. The goal being to get
locally grown food, fiber and related neat stuff to local folks at a
profit and affordably to every other working stiff. If it can't be done
I guess I will go back to keeping books but just have to believe there is
a way that does not take someone to the poor house although I am sure it
needs to be capitalized.

I appreciate the comments and feel free to email me directly with more
insights. I had probably not given enough thought to the reliability of
vendor participation. One unfortunate thing about Agriculture at this
level is you have a lot of amatuers like me mucking things up
potentially.

It does seem like a worthwhile lifes work though if you don't weaken and
figure out how to keep the squash borers at arms length. :-)

Mike