market-farming - [Market-farming] Re:Indy Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KTCopsey AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re:Indy Market
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 23:57:24 EDT

In a message dated 8/13/03 9:07:00 PM US Eastern Standard Time, market-farming-request AT lists.ibiblio.org writes:

I am giving some serious thoughts to trying to use some extra space a
Client of mine has on the near east side of Indianapolis and make a run
at creating a market in an older neighborhood.  This is a naive
undertaking but just because I am dumb doesn't mean it could not be done.

Not sure which part of Indy you  are thinking of but with the City Market and Broad Ripple Markets (not to mention Carmel. Zionsville and probably some I don't know about) the competition is tough.  When looking to start markets one of the best things to look for is to secure at leat one 'anchor'.  That being a large farming concern that can produce great volumes of 'stuff' each week - strawberries, tomatoes, corn etc etc.  The problem with the markets that I have found (all the above except city)is that they are on Saturday mornings and thus compete with each other.  There are only so many vendors to go round and they get fewer and fewer with each market that opens.A market will only be successful if there are many vendors selling niche stuff - but the majority of buyers will only come if there is a good supply of veggies etc that they need.

As for entering a market or giving one a trial run - I think that depends very much on what you plan to produce - if you are specializing in heirloom tomatoes then you will not be expected to arrive at an early market perhaps (if they are field grown).  If you plan to sell just the plants for people to grow there own heirloom tomatoes then you need to secure an early season booth.  Every market that I have attended allows weekly vendors that can set up on an occaisional first come first serve basis.  The down side is that they are not allocated a spot until 7am and need to be ready by 7.30 to sell.
Katy
Living just one cornfield away from civilization.

  • [Market-farming] Re:Indy Market, KTCopsey, 08/13/2003