market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Value added and profitability

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: OakCamp2 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Value added and profitability
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 17:24:04 EDT

In a message dated 7/15/2003 3:30:18 PM Central Standard Time, IdleThymeFarm AT aol.com writes:

a list of perennial herbs that I grow and am putting together custom window boxes for my customers.

Thanks Shelly and Del for the advice.  Very interesting.  We grew perennial flowers for the first time this year.  It went OK except that I believe the newness of it at our stand caused many of our customers to overlook them.  I have found it helps to have them in bloom in order to move them.  Many of the perennials that I carried were mid to late summer bloomers and unless the customer were very familiar with them, they did not sell very well in the spring season.  Many of the other perennial growers  bring only what is flowering each week.  So, I guess that was a lesson learned there.
Here's my question to either of you.  I want to overwinter some of these perennials till next year.  What have you found to be the best procedure?  They are in 4 1/2" square or SVD pots right now.
Thanks!
Barb Birkinbine
Oak Camp Herb Farm